Embedded Software Engineer – Chatsworth, CA
Electronics Manufacturing/PCB-level programming
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Participate in the Concept phase of product design. Use past experiences to strengthen the team’s output.
• Architect, design, develop, and test software for embedded lighting systems.
• Learn the intricacies of advanced, high end LED lighting control. Mentor from current senior staff on concepts of tight-tolerance control of LED driver circuits and color control. Learn basic color theory and apply to control of PID servo loops to maintain tight control of color selection.
• Advance company capabilities in the areas of wireless communications and mobile device applications experience. Assist in the Development of robust and platform-independent APIs with the Software team.
• Demonstrate, understand, and apply new technology and new approaches to solving complex problems.
• Multitask and assist Electrical Designers to solve development problems with firmware support and problem-solving skills.
• Observe professional best practices for firmware modularity, documentation and test of team output.
• Foster a team environment, collaborating closely with developers in Chatsworth, CA and Shelton, CT. Occasional travel to Shelton for alignment of strategies, goals, brainstorming and task sharing.
• Track team commitments and demonstrate accomplishments to the company and Manager on a weekly or as needed basis.
• Diligently communicate progress and issues on a daily basis.
• Collaborate with team mates to assure maximum product success. Be open to suggestions.
• Support current production products as need arises. Write ECOs and participate in weekly manufacturing meetings.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Excellent communicator
• Excellent ability to work within a team environment and desire to learn from senior staff.
• 5+ years of embedded firmware design in a consumer electronics environment within a software team.
• Experience programming in C and some variations of assembly language.
• Basic knowledge of electronic circuit analysis and design. Must understand mixed signal circuitry to a Novice level.
• Basic experience or training with PID control loops
• Basic experience with FreeRTOS.
• Experience with Test Driven Development.
• Experience writing and conducting Validation and Verification plans.
• Ability to understand complex control algorithms and apply knowledge through the generation of embedded source code.
• Must have an inclination as a problem solver. Apply creativity to solve complex problems.
• Must be able to solder and perform small modifications to printed circuit boards.
• LED lighting or other design experience with PID control of drivers or other circuitry requiring high resolution control.
• Experience with FreeRTOS
• Experience with ESP32 wifi controller, PIC, ATMEL, ARM, Renesas microcontrollers
• Experience with DMX communications. ARTNET, sACN a big plus.
• Experience with IP-based protocols, wired and wireless (wifi).
• Experience with C++
• Experience with software design/test/revision-control tools such as Doxygen, VCS (i.e. SVN, Git, Clearcase, etc.)
• Experience working in an Agile development environment.
• Someone who enjoys tinkering with electronics and isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and put together test fixtures.
Education and Qualifications:
• Bachelor of Computer Science Degree.
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering.