Commodity Manager Vernon, CA
This position is responsible for developing and executing the global supply chain strategy for assigned commodities and geographic locations. This position is accountable for managing supplier performance, qualifying new suppliers, negotiating price, and ensuring suppliers meet our quality and inventory goals. This position is also responsible in providing support to internal customers (manufacturing, engineering, marketing, customer service, and others) on day-to-day issues as well as new product development initiatives.
Accountable and responsible for developing and implementing a supply chain strategy that:
-Maximizes customer satisfaction through world class on time delivery, lead time and quality metrics.
– Delivers the lowest total cost
– Reduces inventory thru appropriate replenishment processes
1. For assigned suppliers, develop, and lead the execution of a global supply chain strategy that supports objectives for Supplier OTD, Inventory Reduction, Supplier Quality, Supplier Lead Times, and Material Cost Reduction. This includes actions to rationalize the supply base, improve supplier relationships, implement Supplier Agreements, drive increased sourcing from low-cost countries and leverage materials spend appropriately.
2. Prepare, distribute, and follow-up on supplier performance reports, and promote company Supplier Certification program.
3. Participate as a key member of the New Product Implementation and Value Engineering teams. Contribute to team meetings, obtain, and review pricing quotes from approved sources, ensure the best suppliers are used, and consolidate the supplier base.
4. Drive increasing inventory turns by developing, implementing, and managing innovative material replenishment processes, including, but not limited to Kanban, vendor managed inventory and supplier consignment.
5. Participate in the annual profit planning process as it relates to supplier spend budgets. Develop programs to support annual cost saving objectives.
6. Maintain awareness of world markets and emerging material related issues in the industry and position the supply chain to flexibly respond accordingly.
7. Lead/Facilitate strategic sourcing teams to leverage supplier capabilities in product design, cost reduction, lead time reduction and customer satisfaction.
8. Consistent with Operational Excellence focus, participate in Kaizen events that will eliminate waste and result in significant benefits (Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost) throughout the Supply Chain.
9. Drive continuous improvement in the supply base by communicating objective performance metrics, focused on lead time reduction, on-time delivery improvement, quality improvement, and cost reduction.
Consolidate the supplier base to meet objectives. Resolve persistent problems related to supplier quality, lead-time, and delivery. Review Purchase Price Variance regularly, but at least monthly, and report reasons for variances. Solicit supplier and purchased parts cost reduction ideas and prepare PCO’s for engineering. Communicate supplier’s lead time, minimum order quantities (MOQ), and supplier forecasts to Tactical Supply Chain staff. Maintain contact information, and other supplier information in QAD and in key supplier files. Assist Supply Chain Department with difficult shortages and change orders as required to meet Company commitments. Follow-up on Corrective Action Requests to suppliers who perform poorly.
The preceding functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed
• Five (5) years’ experiences in Supply Chain/Buying/Vendor Management in a strategic setting in a mid to large size manufacturing organization.
• Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing, Production/Operations Management, or Engineering OR equivalent business experience. NAPM (A.P.P., C.P.M.) or APICS (CPIM, CIRM) certification(s) are valued.
• Candidate must have strong negotiation and contract management skills.
• Strong computer skills, ideally with experience using Windows-based PC programs.
• Some background in Manufacturing Management or Mechanical Engineering.
Knowledge of fundamentals of purchasing, with strengths in negotiations, supplier management and performance improvement. Must have knowledge of supplier qualification processes, developing and maintaining supplier performance metrics. Knowledge of and implementing a pull/Kanban approach to material replenishment programs. Knowledge of eSourcing tools.
Global sourcing experience. Solid analytical, problem solving/decision making skills; ability to make timely, effective, fact-based decisions. Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to perform and produce results in multifunctional teams in a dynamic work environment. Proven ability to develop collaborative relationships and influence up, down, and across organizational lines.
Ability to coordinate multiple group efforts within the company to achieve objectives. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to handle multiple tasks, with awareness of deadlines. Ability to identify processes needing improvement, and to recommend improvements. Flexibility to travel (10-25% travel expected). Ability to read and understand drawings preferred.
Qualified and interested candidates are urged to apply immediately