Our client welcomes people who share our determination and high standards to join us in doing work that moves the world forward. They design, manufacture, and market highly engineered products and systems principally for the aerospace and defense markets. They are a leading diversified manufacturer of highly engineered, organic, and inorganic elastomer-based products.
Number of Employees: 310+
Reports to: President
Works with: Customers, Suppliers, Platform staff, President, senior staff, mid-level managers, supervisors, professional staff and, office and manufacturing employees.
As key member of the senior management team, this position is responsible for managing the company manufacturing operations to achieve the site’s business goals. Represents the Operations functions within Senior Staff.
• Direct and manage all Operations functions including: Fabrication, Assembly, Facilities/Maintenance, Purchasing, Planning, Warehouse and Logistics.
• Collaborate closely with support functions including: Quality, HR, Finance, EH&S, Customer Service/Contracts, Design Engineering, CI and R&D.
• Provide advice and counsel on operational issues to President and Senior Staff.
• Champion and support the current operating system including Policy Deployment, Lean Transformation, Strategic Sourcing, TPS and Continuous Improvement Philosophy with hands-on involvement and reinforcement.
• Drive and instill a culture that embraces quality and safety in everything we do.
• Determine annual Operations Capital budget. Review each expenditure request for accuracy, relevance and ROI.
• Manage the majority of company direct and indirect headcount resources to include hiring, firing, performance review and employee development to meet production output and gross margin goals.
• Translate and support global manufacturing strategies. Maximize existing facility footprint using domestic outsourcing, innovation/technology and by otherwise leveraging the enterprise.
• Provide mentoring and training to subordinates.
• Establish appropriate Operations goals within the context of the global strategy and ensure attainment of these to support top level objectives.
• Ensure that performance metrics are posted and displayed, assessments are conducted, and visual management systems are maintained.
• Responsible for the development and maintenance of the skills definitions that the current Skill-Based Pay System.
• Act as one of the primary points of contact with Bargaining Unit. Process and negotiate disputes and grievances. Responsible for setting the tone and maintaining a productive relationship with the Bargaining Unit.
• Direct participation in Tier 1 customer initiatives including Gold supplier, readiness assessments, and other partnership activities.
• Establish and oversee SIOP process – assure effective integration between sales and operations for effective planning and execution.
• Ensure Operations department procedures and employee behaviors are compliant with all governing federal, state, local and corporate regulations.
To succeed in this position, the successful candidate must have:
• Experience in a high mix, high volume aerospace operation
• Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and disciplines
• Strong knowledge of/experience with manufacturing support functions such as Quality,
Manufacturing Engineering, Facilities, or Materiel
• Strong business acumen and customer interaction experience
• Strong employee relations experience (experience in a union environment preferred)
• Strong mentoring and coaching skills
• Strong leadership skills – effective in motivating and directing a team for positive results
• Strong knowledge of ERP and automated scheduling systems
• Strong philosophic knowledge of and direct participation in Enterprise-wide Continuous
• Strong organizational, communication, and presentation skills
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
• Undergraduate degree in business or engineering discipline; MBA degree is preferred but not required
• A minimum of 10 years’ operations management experience in an Aerospace manufacturing environment. Experience in a union environment preferred.
Demonstrated ability in the core competencies for a senior level leader: delegation, developing direct reports, process management, innovation management, business acumen, intellectual horsepower, learning on the fly, making timely/high quality decisions, and hiring staffing, strategic agility, command skills and managing vision and purpose.