The Materials Manager is responsible for organizing and administering the materials function for the Division. Guides and directs personnel in purchasing, planning, receiving, shipping, and stockroom. Supports manufacturing and other departments to maintain efficient operations, high delivery standards and to promote customer goodwill. Maintain a safe, clean work environment.
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
Collaborates with the Manufacturing Managers to meet the material requirements of the product lines. Guides and directs the Buyers in establishing and administering purchasing procedures and practices. Guides and directs Planners in establishing and administering planning procedures and practices. Support Product Line material cost reduction programs and initiate material cost savings. Establish and administer production and inventory control procedures and practices. Direct and oversee the inventory control function; ensure the integrity of the stockroom operation and the maintenance of inventory accuracy. Continually seek out ways to recommend and implement changes that will improve warehousing, inventory control, and promote efficient material movement while improving accuracy and response time to customers and increase profitability. Develop processes to ensure unique customer packaging requirements are met. Develop programs to reduce packaging waste.
Develop and implement improved information and reporting systems for materials management. Forecast materials function operating and expense cost; maintain control within budgetary limits. Develop inventory tools for the Product Line team to reduce inventory while improving lead-times and on-time delivery. Provide inventory analysis to Director of Operations each month.
- Requires excellent oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and/or potential
- A self-motivated team player who can take action with minimal direction
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study required (business, engineering, finance, etc.). Master’s degree is a plus.
- Five years’ experience in materials (purchasing, planning, inventory control, etc.) or equivalent required.
- 2 years of supervisory/management experience or equivalent required.
- Experience working with MAPICS/AS400 is a plus.
- Well-versed in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel
- Experience working with material related transactions in an MRP/ERP system
- Ability to lead a team to accomplish goals in a dynamic working environment
- APICS certification is a plus.
This is a full-time/direct-hire role. Local candidates will be given first consideration. Relocation is possible for highly qualified candidates.