Our client designs, manufactures, and markets highly engineered products and systems principally for the aerospace and defense markets. They are a leading diversified manufacturer of highly engineered, organic, and inorganic elastomer-based products.
Reports to: President with dotted line to Platform Finance Director
Works with: Platform leaders, Business Unit, Corporate Resources, Corporate leaders, Direct Senior leaders of the local business, Customers and Vendors
Director of Finance Job Summary
The Finance Director is responsible for directing the organization to achieve return on investment and profitable growth objectives. This role is accountable to our parent company for profit/loss and attainment of short and long-range objectives. Ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. As a member of Senior Staff, is a contributor and counsel for day-to-day decision making in all areas of the business. Works closely with the unit President in areas of strategic planning and overall operational effectiveness.
Primary Responsibilities for Director of Finance
- Actively assists in the development and support of organizational goals, initiatives and improvement targets.
- Implements all financial reporting and controls as prescribed by parent company and GAAP; actively communicates internally with Senior Management and externally with corporate regarding areas of risk, opportunity and concern.
- Provides status of financial condition of the company by collecting, interpreting, and reporting key financial data to all cross functional groups; serves as Financial Counselor to the President and Senior Staff.
- Completes annual preparation of budgets and quarterly forecasts in conjunction with cross functional groups within the company.
- Assists with contract review, negotiation with customers and vendors
- Establish and maintain strong internal financial controls at the unit to ensure assets are adequately safeguarded and results are accurately reported.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of month-end closings, while improving the efficiency of these processes; effectively diagnose and correct any inconsistencies in the results of processes.
- Manages and develops direct reporting staff, including the development of position descriptions, key objective work plans, compensation planning and timely completion of annual performance discussions.
- Actively participates in and supports current Lean Transformation Plan activities and instills by example, an attitude of continuous improvement and serving the needs of our customers.
- Assists others as requested or needed.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications of Director of Finance
- Previous experience with government contracts strongly preferred
- Previous experience within a large, complex and matrixed organization highly desirable
- The candidate will have substantial GAAP knowledge, G/L skills, able to audit/reconcile all entries and balances when needed.
- Requires strong diagnostic skills in analyzing results and excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to complete coherent monthly analysis to explain variances to budget, prior year or deviation to expected result.Lead the organization to fix future variances.
- High level of understanding and hands-on experience ERP/MRP systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an environment where tact, sensitivity, respect, tenacity, persuasive ability and decisiveness are required for success.
- Effective business consultant with internal professionals and senior managers
- Solid understanding of SOX and required internal control environment for a publicly-traded company.
- Excellent writing, speaking and presentation skills required.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment
- Must be a goal-oriented person who has the ability to meet company/departmental goals and to adhere to company/departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to get along with coworkers and management and deal effectively and professionally under pressure.
- Ability to guide the successful completion of major programs/projects and may function in a project leadership role.
- Develops solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- High level ability to streamline processes through relentless continuous improvement.
- Strong customer focus and immediate responsiveness.
- Ability to present to high level internal and external customers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and have the ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Must be dependable and able to maintain good attendance track record.
- Able to travel (up to 20%).
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or relevant discipline. MBA, CPA or CMA degree is preferred.
- 8+ years’ experience managing an accounting function in a medium or large size company; cost accounting background preferred.
- Successful experience working in a manufacturing environment and/or the aerospace industry preferred.
- Familiarity with Sarbanes-Oxley regulations, implementation and documentation of internal controls.
- ERP experience required
Demonstrated ability in competencies necessary for a senior level leadership: delegation, developing direct reports, process management, innovation management, business acumen, intellectual horsepower, learning on the fly, making timely/high quality decisions, and hiring staffing, strategic agility, command skills and managing vision and purpose.