Environmental Safety and Health
• This role is responsible for championing all aspects of EH&S and for developing, planning, establishing, implementing, and maintaining all health, safety and environmental programs to assure the highest possible degree of safety for our employees. They will ensure that we meet all local, state, federal and corporate regulatory requirements.
• Champion site safety programs. Oversee all facets of established and new programs including audits, incentive programs, scheduled employee health assessments, mandatory PPE programs, recurring safety training and new hire safety orientation.
• Review and improve safety standards and guidelines throughout the facility.
• Chair and conduct monthly safety committee meetings.
• Assist managers in the development and effective execution of training in worksite safety practices, fire prevention, correct ergonomics, and safe machine operation.
• Lead safety and environmental compliance initiatives to ensure that site is poised and prepared for regulatory audits and inspections at all times. Interface with regulatory authorities during audits and inspections. Primary point of contact for all EH&S related audit functions.
• Oversee incident/accident reporting and lead investigations for incident/accidents and ensure timely completion of RCCA.
• Conduct Risk Assessments (PHA, Haz Ops, What If’s) and Job Hazard Analysis for existing and new processes and conditions. Detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determine corrective or preventative measures where indicated, and follow up to ensure measures have been implemented.
• Environmental Management System owner. Maintain associated manuals and procedures for ISO14001 compliance. Monitor and report progress of ongoing environmental initiatives. Host re-certification audits.
• Administer site Worker’s Compensation program and maintain all associated records.
• Develop and monitor EH&S driver measures and critical performance indicators. Develop and maintain EH&S data base.
• Provide advice and counsel on EH&S issues to President and Senior Staff.
• Maintain EH&S safety files and records.
• Review new capital projects for compliance with all safety and environmental requirements and ergonomic workflow. Oversee new equipment Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR).
• Evaluate performance of the healthcare provided for occupational injuries and makes source selection changes as required.
• Represent the organization at informational conferences and regulatory hearings.
• Develop and administer department budget
• Ensure Compliance with EH&S, Trade Right, Ethics and Business Conduct, Quality Policy and all established operating procedures.
• Seek and maintain currency on systems/processes/equipment and technological innovations through benchmarking, networking (including other EEM platform sites), and industry associations.
• Broad understanding of federal, state and local regulations and ability to translate concerns into a risk assessment and/or an effective action plan. Experienced working with regulatory agencies such as DOE, DOT, AQMD, EPA, and Cal/OSHA.
• Understanding of Electrical Safety, Lockout Tag out, Machine Guarding, PPE, Emergency Management, Fire Protection/Prevention, Exit Routes & Emergency plans, Forklift Safety, OSHA Recordkeeping, Workplace Violence Prevention, Behavior Based Safety, HAZMAT, Environmental, Workplace Ergonomics, Accident Investigation, and Job Hazard Analysis.
• Leadership ability, results oriented, able to manage conflict, influence without authority and assume responsibility.
• Previous experience developing strategies and making recommendations to minimize risk to our workforce.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to document programs, reports, and policies. Ability to present to groups, train employees, and lead meetings.
• Prior experience in process improvement/LEAN/Six Sigma is a plus
• Must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision and multitask to manage routine tasks in addition to special projects.
• Excellent responsiveness and customer focus in a fast-paced environment
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety or similar field from a four-year college or university
• 3 years of EH&S experience at a similar sized manufacturing facility
• OSHA General Industry Certification, CPR, First Aid Certifications, and Safety Professional credentials (CSP, CMIOSH, ASP, GSP, CIH).